Wellington AFL Umpires Code of Conduct
Applies to all Wellington AFL Umpires (Independent and Player)
I commit, to the best of my ability, to uphold the Wellington AFL Umpires Code of Conduct.
Without bringing the umpiring profession or the game into disrepute, I will endeavour to uphold the following to the best of my ability:
- I will respect the rights, dignity and worth of all individuals within the context of my involvement with Wellington AFL and will not discriminate based on religion, race, ethnic background or special ability/disability.
- I will abide by and teach the AFL Laws of the Game and the rules of Wellington AFL as to play the game.
- I will refrain from any form of abuse mental, emotional, or physical and will not participate in any unnecessary physical contact with players, coaches, or team officials.
- I will never tolerate offensive, insulting or abusive language or behaviour from players and officials.
- I will respond in a clear, calm and confident manner to any appropriate request for clarification by
the team captains.
- I will not disclose any confidential information relating to a player without their prior written consent.
- I will always stress safety. Ensuring that equipment, facilities, and trainings meet safety standards and are appropriate to the age, emotional maturity and ability of the player.
- I will endeavour to stay informed and educated on sound principles of umpiring. Should I require a qualification I will stay up to date with the practices, and requirements of that qualification.
- I will display and foster respect for fellow umpires, players, coaches, team officials, and spectators.
- I will advocate a sporting environment free of drugs and other performance-enhancing substances within the guidelines of Drug Free Sport New Zealand and the World Anti-Doping Code.
- I will be honest and completely impartial at all times, and avoid situations which may lead to, or be constructed as, a conflict of interest.
- I will apply the laws of the game and competition rules fairly and consistently without fear or favour
I agree to the following terms:
- I agree to abide by the Wellington AFL Umpires Code of Conduct.
- I acknowledge that the Wellington AFL, or anybody affiliated with Wellington AFL, may take disciplinary action against me if I breach the Code of Conduct. I understand that the Wellington AFL, or anybody affiliated with Wellington AFL, is required to implement a complaints handling procedure in accordance with the WAFL Rules, in the event of an allegation against me.
- I acknowledge that disciplinary action against me may include deregistration and suspension.