Wellington AFL Coaches & Club Officials Code of Conduct
Applies to all Wellington AFL Coaches & Club Officials
I, hereby commit, to the best of my ability, to uphold the Wellington AFL Coaches and Club Officials Code of Conduct.
In representing myself in an honest manner, and without bringing the coaching profession or the Game into disrepute, I will endeavour to uphold the following to the best of my ability:
- I will respect the rights, dignity and worth of all individuals within the context of my involvement with Wellington AFL and will not discriminate based on religion, race, ethnic background or special ability/disability.
- I will abide by and teach the AFL Laws of the Game and the rules of my club/league association as to play the game and accept the role of the umpire.
- I will be reasonable in the demands I make on the time commitments, energy and enthusiasm of the players in my care.
- I will refrain from any form of abuse mental, emotional, or physical and will not participate in any unnecessary physical contact with players in my care.
- I will not disclose any confidential information relating to a player without their prior written consent.
- I will have due consideration of the varying maturity, ability levels, and goals of the players in my care when designing training schedules, activities and during competition.
- I will not ‘overplay’ talented players, and will ensure that all players have equal game time and encouragement.
- I will always stress safety. Ensuring that equipment, facilities, and trainings meet safety standards and are appropriate to the age, emotional maturity and ability of the player.
- In recognition of injury and sickness, I will seek and follow the doctor’s advice concerning injured or ill players.
- I will endeavour to stay informed and educated on sound principles of coaching and skill development as well as factors relating to the welfare of my players. Should I require a qualification I will stay up to date with the practices, and requirements of that qualification.
- I will, at all times, display and teach appropriate sporting behaviour, ensuring that all players understand and practice the principles of fair play.
- I will display and foster team respect for umpires, opponents, coaches, officials, parents and spectators.
- I will ensure that my prime role, to provide a positive environment where players can learn skills and develop themselves, is not overshadowed by an overly structured competition or a desire to win.
- I will endeavour to be a positive role model, giving all players equal attention and opportunity creating a positive experience for the player.
- I will encourage a healthy lifestyle and refrain from smoking or drinking alcohol during play.
- I will advocate a sporting environment free of drugs and other performance-enhancing substances within the guidelines of Drug Free Sport New Zealand and the World Anti-Doping Code.
- I will not initiate a sexual relationship with a player under my care and will discourage any attempt by a player to initiate a sexual relationship with me. I will explain the ethical basis for my refusal.
I agree to the following terms:
- I agree to abide by the Wellington AFL Coaches and Club Officials Code of Conduct.
- I acknowledge that the Wellington AFL, or anybody affiliated with Wellington AFL, may take disciplinary action against me if I breach the Code of Conduct. I understand that the Wellington AFL, or anybody affiliated with Wellington AFL, is required to implement a complaints handling procedure in accordance with the principles of natural justice, in the event of an allegation against me.
- I acknowledge that disciplinary action against me may include deregistration and suspension.