Wellington AFL Players Code of Conduct
Applies to all Players in the Wellington AFL Competition
I hereby commit, to the best of my ability, to uphold the Wellington AFL Players Code of Conduct.
In representing myself in an honest manner, and without bringing Wellington AFL, AFL New Zealand, or the Game into disrepute, I will endeavour to uphold the following to the best of my ability:
- I will respect the rights, dignity and worth of all individuals within the context of my involvement with Wellington AFL and will not discriminate based on religion, race, ethnic background or special ability/disability.
- I will play hard but fair and by the rules.
- I will conduct myself in a sportsman like manner, never arguing or abusing the umpires. If I disagree with a decision made by an official I will inform the captain, coach or manager during a break or after the game.
- I will control my temper. I understand that it is not acceptable or permitted behaviour to verbally abuse officials and other players or deliberately distract or provoke an opponent.
- I will recognize positive contributions made by all players, both my team-mates and my opposition. I will act in the spirit of sportsmanship congratulating and thanking my opponents and match officials at the end of the game.
- I will treat all players as I would like to be treated – fairly, regardless of skill level or game understanding as we all started somewhere. I recognize taking advantage of, or bullying a teammate or opposition player will not be tolerated.
- I will encourage development and share knowledge of skills and of the game.
- I will cooperate with my coach, the umpires and team-mates.
- I will play for my own enjoyment, to improve my skills, and for my team.
- I will communicate to coaching/management staff if unable to attend fixtures in a reasonable timeframe.
- I will give honest appraisal of injury or illness that may impact my well being or my ability to play the game.
- I will be punctual.
- I will take responsibility for my performance on and off the field.
- I will comply with all Anti-Doping regulations as set out by Drug Free Sport New Zealand and the World Anti-Doping Code.
I agree to the following terms:
- I agree to abide by the Wellington AFL Players Code of Conduct.
- I acknowledge that Wellington AFL may take disciplinary action against me if I breach this Code of Conduct. I understand that Wellington AFL is required to implement a complaints handling procedure in accordance with the principles of natural justice, in the event of an allegation against me.
- I acknowledge that disciplinary action against me may include removal from the Wellington AFL programme I am participating in.